12 July 2011

Ack and Yikes!

I'm not ready. Well, I'm ready, but I'm not prepared. Not prepared for my first three rejection letters.

Yes, I finally did it. After fourteen months, from the inkling of the concept to the final self edit last week, I've officially sent off my first three query letters.

I'm seriously considering running in the other room and hiding under a blanket.

Does anyone else ever feel like that? It must stem from all those blanket forts I made as a kid. Hanging out in them always made me feel safe. Sitting in this chair, with my laptop running and the possibility (albeit not likely tonight) that a rejection letter could come across the net at any second is making me paranoid. i signed out of my e-mail.

Sure, sure, I could get an acceptance letter, but I'm thinking I'll gather a hefty pile of polite rejections before that. I hope not, but let's go with realism for a few minutes, shall we? Okay, minute is over.

One author I know always sends her queries to agents and publishers at midnight, so she won't get rejection letters in less than fifteen minutes. I may have to adopt that plan. I'm glad I've got Kung Fu class tonight. Trying to kick a moving target or do funky push-ups (haha, as if I can do a single good one) will occupy all of my brain power for about an hour.

So what's next? I've already started on a new project. A new/old project. The story's been rattling around in my head for years. I used it for my Nanowrimo in 2009, so at least I've got some fodder to work with. I re-read the Nano yesterday, and I must say that I'm excited about working on it.

Back into the fray!

2 comments:

Melissa Lemon said...

Congratulations on entering the next chapter in your writing career. It will make you laugh, make you cry, make you want to dig a hole and get inside. Just kidding. I hope you get an acceptance from one of these as well. Forget reality.

Stacey said...

Good luck!