13 March 2012

Monster Hunter Alpha


Earl Harbinger may be the leader of Monster Hunter International, but he’s also got a secret. Nearly a century ago, Earl was cursed to be werewolf. When Earl receives word that one of his oldest foes, a legendarily vicious werewolf that worked for the KGB, has mysteriously appeared in the remote woods of Michigan, he decides to take care of some unfinished business. But another force is working to bring about the creation of a whole new species of werewolf. When darkness falls, the final hunt begins, and the only thing standing in their way is a handful of locals, a lot of firepower, and Earl Harbinger’s stubborn refusal to roll over and play dead. (Blurb borrowed from Amazon)

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy the Monster Hunter International world? Larry Correia makes me laugh, which means I will be a loyal fan until one of us dies. Is he the greatest writer in the world? Uh, no. Do I think I can take him with my awesome, below the belt Kung Fu moves? Depends on how many guns he's got. Do I understand even a quarter of the gun-nut talk he puts into his books? Nope.

If it make big hole, it big gun. That's all I've got.

Naturally, I'm going to say that I loved reading this book. I cared about the characters, cheered when the stupid ones got bit in the face and got all excited when a girl told Earl off...and he listened. It read fast for a long book.

However, there is another reason for me to like this book. You see, I donated to a cause a while back, and one of the perks was that Larry Correia would kill you in a novel.

Yes, please. Thank you very much.

This is what happened to Jo Ann Schneider, phone sex goddess and secretary for a monster hunting organization. Goes out on a call into a little town being overrun by werewolves, bullies the men, shoots her gun at monsters, gets eaten by a digger, then vomited back up, shot by a government prick just as she was feeling better, then her looser boyfriend leaves her as bait for the undead werewolves that were chasing them, she gets bit, turned into an undead werewolf and kills said looser ex-boyfriend. Then I'm pretty sure she gets chopped up in the giant snowplow.

Not bad.

What did you do with your weekend? Hmmm?

I'm still laughing.

2 comments:

Lace and Books said...

ROFLH "Phone sex goddess"???? ROFLH.

Jordan said...

Uh... this hit my funny bone pretty good. And I haven't ever read these books.