18 November 2012

Skyfall




Synopsis: (hijacked from IMDB)
Bond's loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.

Why did I watch this movie again?

Uh, Daniel Craig.  Bond.  Fighting. Guns. Judi Dench. Why wouldn’t I watch this movie?

After the last one, I was prepared for the more Jason Bourne/action film that I knew this would be.  But we’ll go into that later.

4 out of 5

Characters

I liked most of the characters.  For what they were going for, Daniel Craig did a great job as Bond. I love Judy Dench as “M” and most of the supporting characters fit in quite nicely.

There were a few dropped in for convenience, which I think a writer could have woven into the existing cast, but I’ve never tried to write a screenplay, so I can’t really talk.

The bad guy started out awesome, but by the end was quite lackluster.  If you’ve got a guy with a grudge, unlimited cash and more brains than he knows what to do with, at least give him a more creative plan than blowing stuff up.

3 out of 5

Did I care what happened?

Yes. I got sucked in.  Bond goes a little more vulnerable in this film (kind of introduced in the prior two of the set) and I actually wanted more explanation about him and his past and his feelings for MI6 and M.  I caught on, but they could have drawn the audience in better.

3 out of 5

Plot Holes

Uh, there are always plot holes in a Bond film, and this one did not disappoint.

The catalyst for the entire film is a list of all the agents embedded in terrorist organizations.  Kind of an old idea, but okay. The list gets stolen and the bad guy starts to leak it.  Agents getting killed, M is to blame, Bond is out of the picture for a bit…and then the list just disappears.  Poof.  Why would to bad guy give up on that?  We have no idea.

The other one I mentioned before.  This bad guy is creepy and brilliant, but his end plan is something my eight year old nephew could have come up with.  No, my nephew would have had a better plan.  Work smarter, not harder people.

3 out of 5

How many times did I yawn?

No yawning.  The pacing felt pretty good.

4 out of 5

Cool Factor

Well, there were a few fighting moves that I wanted to rewind and see again, so that gives the film bonus points.   No really cool gadgets (which they have a lame explanation for that is only kind of funny) which was disappointing.  I did love the end fight, even though the actual motivation behind it was dumb, but the action didn’t stop and I liked it.

3 out of 5

The End

I liked the end and the promise of things to come. 

4 out of 5

Overall Enjoyment

Even though this film had its problems, I did enjoy it. I’ll probably own it.  I do miss the old more espionage based Bond films, but this one kept me interested and involved.

4 out of 5

Score=28
That's a Purple Belt!

No comments: