20 November 2012

Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem


Hello everyone.  Today we have a guest blogger.  As usual, please treat her with the same "respect" and attention as you do for me.  Well, maybe a little better.

Meet Melissa Lemon

Writer
Musician
Mother
Creative Genius
Punctuation Patrol(wo)man
and
Twister of Fairy Tales

Let's start off with a few get to know you questions:

1-Toothpaste-gel or paste?
 Paste. Gel belongs in hair. Not my hair, of course, but other people's.

2-What was your first thought this morning? (If appropriate.  If not appropriate, please edit or make something up.)
I can do it. I can get out of this bed. I can. I can. Half an hour later it was true.

3-Do you prefer the sunrise or the sunset?  Why?
Aesthetically I have no preference, but symbolically I prefer the sunrise.

4-If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it by and why?
I would choose a lot of places, but basically here are the requirements: somewhere in Europe that is breathtakingly beautiful and not overly populated.

Enough of that, now onto the good stuff:

5-If you could have lunch with any character in literature, who would it be and where would you go?
I'd have to say Amy Dorrit. Reading Little Dorrit was like finding a lifelong friend. I would take her to an outdoor cafe in a charming small town. I don't currently know if such a place exists, but we're talking about a fictional character anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

6-What keeps you writing after your characters have betrayed you and your plot has fallen to pieces?
That never happens to me. I have no idea what you're talking about.

7-When do you know that it's time to break up with your current work in progress?
Hmmm. I'm a little too tenacious for an actual break-up. There are times that I take a "time-out." This usually happens when said work in progress is 1- Driving me crazy. 2- Driving me crazy. OR 3- Driving me crazy.

Specifically about Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayem

8-How did Snow Whyte make it to the top of your "to write" pile?
I know this is going to be hard to believe, but it ate its way to the top. You should see the holes in all my other manuscripts.

9-If you had to use a comparison between say the Disney Snow White, and your version, how would you describe it?  Water to Kool Aid? Pinto to Mustang?  Generic napikin to Bounty Paper Towel?  Feel free to be creative.
A vase of daisies to the Denver Botanical Gardens

10-What is your favorite aspect of the story?  Why?
I love the orchard Kat grows up on. I pretty much wish I lived there. I also enjoyed naming the dwarfs. Each name means "short" in another language.

11-If the main character from Snow Whyte could meet anyone (fictional or real) who would it be and why?
I would love for her to meet King Fredrick. He did save her life after all. Too bad he's dead.

Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayem
Stuck in her family's apple orchards, Kat's got plenty of work to do and only pesky Jeremy to help. But when Jeremy convinces her to run away, Kat will discover that nothing---and no one---in her life is quite what it seems. Wonderfully reimagined, this is the magical tale of Snow White as you've never read it before!

Jo's comment:
I haven't reviewed this book yet, but it's brilliant!  It comes out on December 11th. If you love a fresh look at a classic fairy tale, read it. The viewpoint of the novel alone was enough to keep me enthralled. 

Visit Melissa at:

http://www.authormelissalemon.com/ 
https://www.facebook.com/authormelissalemon 
https://www.amazon.com/author/melissalemon.com

2 comments:

Melissa Lemon said...

Thanks, Jo! You're pretty much...Awesome.

Sarah E Boucher said...

Now I'm excited all over again! The bits I've read are phenomenal & you two are both amazing :)