19 May 2014

Blog Hoppin'

Hey all,
I'm participating in a blog hop. This one is all about writing.

The author who invited me to participate is Ann Marie Meyers. Ann Marie is a successful MG author whose first book, UP in the Air is on the awesome side of adorable.  She's also a fellow Jolly Fish Press author. For more information about her or her book, check out her website.

First question:What am I working on/writing?
Right now I'm working on the sequel for New Sight. Today I went through the first five chapters and hopefully they're finally finished!

Second question: How does my work/writing differ from others of its genre?
Well, the magic system is pretty complicated...and the magic is addictive. I feel like it's mostly original.

Third question: Why do I write what I do?
Hmmm...good question. I generally write fantasy or science fiction, and the reason for that is because I love to travel and see new places. And what better way to do that then to make them up? Then a place can be anything I want it to be. Which is cool. Also, both dragons and space ships are awesome.

Fourth and final question: How does my writing process work?
Well, most of the time it feels like it doesn't. I get an idea or a character and then I come up with a story. Then I outline it about six times, toss that and start again. At some point I get impatient and start to write. The creation process of the first draft is the hardest part for me, I think because I know that most of it will get tossed. Rough drafts are fodder. I feel bad for them.
Once I finish a rough draft I usually end up re-writing huge chunks of it two or three more times before a manuscript gets to a point where I want to share it with others.
My biggest secret is to keep writing, even if it's terrible. For me, fixing is easier than making it out of nothing.

No comments: